Bath Moravian Church


Go to content

The Moravian Church in Bath

About Us


The Moravian Church has been in Bath since 1752, when a society was established and a chapel was opened on
Monmouth Street in 1765, moving to Charlotte Street in 1834. In 1907 the church eventually left Charlotte Street for Coronation Avenue in Oldfield Park, in order to be closer to its people.

See pho (left) of the John Cennick Memorial Moravian Church)


In 2003, the
John Cennick Memorial Church at Coronation Avenue closed and the congregation continued worshipping at The Church of the Ascension in Claude Avenue on Sunday afternoons at 3pm. Please read elsewhere on this website about this congregation.

Then in 1950, as Weston village was expanded to form an area of new housing, the churches of Bath saw a need to serve in this new area.

So with the backing of the Bath Free Church Council just one new Free Church (non-conformist) was built to serve the village, to be known as
Bath, Weston Free Church (Moravian).

A church hall was opened in 1953 and the church in 1956.

See photo (right) of Weston Free Church (Moravian) .


The costs of the building work were largely met by war damage compensation received by the British Province of the Moravian Church following the destruction of the chapel and church headquarters in Fetter Lane, Chelsea, in a bombing raid.

See photo (left) of Fetter Lane Moravian Chapel.

The Christian Counter


Back to content | Back to main menu