Bath Moravian Church


Go to content

Moravian Burial Ground

About Us

The Grade 2 Moravian Cottages at Weston Road, Bath, comprise symmetrical pair of cottages built in 1792 and are privately owned.

It is built with limestone rubble rendered to front (ashlar left return) with painted freestone rusticated surrounds to openings, steeply pitched pantile mansard roof swept at eaves with dormers and moulded stacks with brick shafts to coped gable ends.

Both cottages have two window ranges with two light two pane casement windows to dormer, 6 x six pane sash windows to outer ends of both floors and small paired two pane casements flank party wall to first floor. Set back six panel doors glazed to top have moulded hoods on shaped brackets. Right return has small oval window to first floor left. In 1961, permission to make properties fit for human habitation was granted.

The Moravians, or United Brethren, were a radical, Non-conformist sect (of Bohemian origins) which enjoyed some popularity in Late Georgian Bath. Moravian Peter Bohler is known to have been instrumental in the conversion of John and Charles Wesley.

At the back of the cottages is the Moravian burial ground, with ranks of vertical headstones.

The Christian Counter


Back to content | Back to main menu